Sunday, September 9, 2012

Talking About Text

     To kick start our understanding of literature discussion groups, the 6th grade language arts team read a poem in order to illustrate what goes on in the mind of a reader.  Even when the group didn't choose what we read or weren't completely understanding it, our minds were busy attempting to make meaning.  As we read, we were questioning, rereading, using the structure of the text, and connecting our experience to the author's words.  It wasn't until we discussed our thinking that we realized those things were happening for all of us.
     I was reminded of this again over the weekend as I started a new memoir called, A Girl named Zippy by Haven Kimmel.   After a few chapters, I got to thinking that not only was Kimmel's writing style light and humorous, but I was understanding more than just her experiences.  I was getting a peek into 1960's, small town Indiana.  A place and time I am unfamiliar with.  A reminder of a time when men were head of household even when not always gainfully employed and women hung laundry on clothes lines.  My reason for reading suddenly branched out.  I no longer wanted only to understand the events that made Kimmel who she is today, but to know more about the time period and what life in a town of 300 was like.  Realizing that we all bring our own experience and knowledge to what we read, I immediately wanted to talk about the book with someone else.  Somehow guffawing aloud to myself to the point I was scaring people and telling my husband, "You've got to read this paragraph here.  Doesn't this remind of you of....", just wasn't enough.  I wanted to share the connections to my life today with her experiences as a child and her parents' experiences rearing this unique individual.
     Why is this important, you ask?  Research shows that students in middle school almost completely stop reading outside of the school day.  Each of us with a homeroom has an opportunity every day, to talk about text with children.  We can be that ear that reader's crave.  We can listen with wonder as they tell us what they understand and how they've made this particular meaning using their schema.      Showing genuine interest and curiosity as we listen to them share, will encourage them to keep searching out the "good fit" book, reading another book in a much loved series, or branch out to something new.  Zimmerman and Hutchins, authors of 7 Keys to Comprehension agree that we need all of our students reading for life and this is a small, but important way to help them do that.  Listen when they talk and ask to know more!

12 comments:

  1. Our SIP calls for us to learn more about "conferring" with students this year on their reading and writing. There is "no harm" in starting to do this, even without PD. We would encourage you to begin doing this with student, particularly in your homeroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I posted what I was reading during my "Free Time." This sparked some interest from some of my homeroom students. They were intrigued to find out that we teachers also read books outside of school. I noticed that one of my students read more pages last week that the week prior. When I asked her about the change she simply said, "If you have time to read at night, I should be able to make time too." I have also found that a special connection can be made with students who are reading a book that I recommended, and have read before. Just talking to students about what parts we both liked and disliked encourages them to read more. Finally, by taking student recommendations on what books I should read makes them feel that I value their opinion and that they have a voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have talked to my students a lot about the book club I am in with my friends to help spark their interest in Literature discussion groups. We have even talked about how I only get to choose every 7th book, and sometimes I really don't like the book I'm reading, but I still read it so I can hear what others think. This way they can help me to understand, or validate my feelings. I am excited for 6th grade to get into our Author Study so the students have a little more choice, and these lessons will begin to become really authentic for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the 8th grade Literacy classes, we have been reading selections from a few different novels. After having small group discussions about these texts, it is amazing how quickly the kids are rushing to check out the full book from the library. Talking/connecting to the text is essential to creating excitement in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar experience with a book title Cutting for Stone. It was based in Ethopia and had a lot of medical vocabulary in it. I struggled through the first fourth of the book wanting to abandon. I kept going because I felt obligated due to it being a book club choice. I needed to monitor my comprehension and do a lot of rereading so I could keep the story in my head. As i trudge through I began to enjoy the plot and characterization. I loved how the connection between medical training and a love for learning drove the plot. I felt smarter for having been challenged to read and comprehend. I felt proud that I could hold the story in my min. Do you know yourself as a reader?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a similar experience with a book title Cutting for Stone. It was based in Ethopia and had a lot of medical vocabulary in it. I struggled through the first fourth of the book wanting to abandon. I kept going because I felt obligated due to it being a book club choice. I needed to monitor my comprehension and do a lot of rereading so I could keep the story in my head. As i trudge through I began to enjoy the plot and characterization. I loved how the connection between medical training and a love for learning drove the plot. I felt smarter for having been challenged to read and comprehend. I felt proud that I could hold the story in my min. Do you know yourself as a reader?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many of my students feel like abandoning a book after the second chapter because it is "not interesting" or "boring." During homeroom, I have had some great discussions with my students about finding good books, but beyond that, actually understanding books that may not be our top choice! I have so many less students going to the library now because they are more interested in completing the books they checked-out in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this in action last year when I was carrying around my copy of The Hunger Games in the hallway. I had more students stop and comment to me that day than any other - all about the book...did I like it, had I read the next one, what did I think about Katniss? I talk to the boys in my classes a lot about what my son liked to read at their age and HOW he got hooked (because it took some doing). Some of them can really relate and it starts conversations where they feel like someone is listening. I know, in a couple of cases, they have actually gone out and got the book I've talked about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have recently started talking with a student about their book they are reading. At first they were reluctant to talk about it, mainly because they weren't reading it. I started saying how if I wanted to read the book, I wanted someone to say if it was good or not. I kept asking about it and pretty soon the student started to talk about their book, and showed excitement in their reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had a student take some tests over books that she has read after completing work in Automation and Robotics. I need to remember to ask more students about the books that they are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is so exciting to have a student come up to me and talk about a book they are reading! Even if it is just a minute or two in passing, I enjoy hearing students making meaning of the text and questioning why a character did something in the story. After they've shared, I ask students to share this excitement about their book to their friends or other students. Any time students are talking to EACH OTHER about books they're reading is something to be celebrated!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree Christina! ...It is awesome that all teachers have a chance to discuss reading during homeroom.

    ReplyDelete