Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I Will Survive!


Learning Teams
Curriculum
Formative Assessments
Advisement
Oh MY!

There are days that feel as if you are in survival mode; I'm sure.  We ask a lot of you and so do your students.  However, there is light at the end of the tunnel; one that is guaranteed not to fall on top of you and smash you flat.  It is the shining light of student self-regulation and higher achievement.  How can you tell?  How will you know?  Just look at your latest District or formative assessment results.  If they are less than what you expect; you have the time, knowledge and ability to change the bottom line.  

Your efforts in learning team will be the difference.

Michael Fullan has written a book titled The Six Secrets of Change.  All Council Bluffs administrators are currently doing it as a book study.  Secret two states: Connect Peers with Purpose.  He says that"the key to achieving a high functioning team lies more in purposeful peer interaction."  You are in groups created for purposeful peer interaction.  One of these groups at Wilson is our sixth grade literacy team.  They move simultaneously with each individual contributing with their own voice and practical application.  An observer can walk into their classroom and see clear evidence of a learning target.  They have seamlessly threaded the target throughout the gradual release process.  You can see Carly deliver a mini lesson with a mentor text, Cassie confer, Brittany comment on writing or Christina lead a group and tell that they are inked arm in arm through the learning team process.  You will notice the target in their language and student work.  Students are knowledgeable and can explain their learning.

Wilson 13-14 look fors re:  Learning Team Process and Student Work.  Evidence can be found the minute you walk into their rooms.  Think about your implementation as compared to this chart.

Element                            Teacher Behavior                Student Behavior              Artifacts


Curriculum/plan implementation/GRR (Phase 1)

I can utilize the workshop model
I can collaborate in learning teams
I can use the curriculum to plan differentiate, meaningful tasks

Students can participate and collaborate in all settings
Students can use accountable talk
goals posted
backward plans
students can restate purpose and objective
common assessments
co constructed anchors


Assessment/Student Work/Feedback
(Phase II)

Teachers will confer and give written and/or oral feedback based on rubrics.  
Students will respond to teacher’s comments, edit the product, justify their responses,and self assess using rubrics.
Student work displays will have a clearly posted focus,rubric and student and/or teacher comments.  


Response/Non-proficient/Tier I/Guide Groups (Phase III)

Teachers will use a variety of the following in order to respond to non-proficient students: guided groups, reteaching in groups, use assessment data for grouping, refer to backward plan, implementing Tier 1 interventions.
Students will peer and self assess, self reflect, restate the learning expectations, and be able to communicate content goals and clarifying questions with the teacher.
co-constructed anchor charts, student work display with feedback, records that record growth and/or areas of struggle.

 The difference in this team is their cohesive plan and meaningful direction.  They navigate the curriculum with laser focus and guide kids to higher achievement.  They react with purpose.   Their results are consistently rising.  They will not rest until they've reached their goals.

Our sixth grade team is engaging in the same process as you are.  You have the capabilities to achieve this level of implementation also.

Individuals working alone are sometimes better at solving simple problems, but well-functioning groups are always better at addressing challenging tasks, and there are few things as complex as making systems work." Fullan  Our problems are not simple.  They are serious and complex and must be solved.

You have the power to make this system work.

Our goal is clear.  
Our path is drawn; the measures designed.  

Use the learning team process and link arms with your colleagues.

You will survive and reach the light!

13 comments:

  1. I have had several opportunities to visit the sixth grade team and have seen just what Kim has described. I see many factors that play into this success. The pieces that stick out to me are strong leadership, focused professional development, and an unwavering team committment. Above all, I see students who are developing a love of reading and writing in authentic ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel lucky to work with such a dedicated, hard working group of teachers. There is strong communication about content and strategies between teachers - and students. Students are excited about reading and want to do well. The teachers knowledge about the the content combined with really knowing the students ensures learning for all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By working with this team weekly, I would have to say that their level of commitment to one another and professional learning to improve their practice is crucial. The thoughtfulness and time they put into their planning heeds results. They rely on each other for feedback and advice and are willing to take risks to better their practice. They question and challenge one another in order to learn more. A large factor that not everyone sees is the literate environments they have built. Not only the physical space, but the personal relationships constructed between teacher and student are indeed fostering self-regulation, independence and engagement. All of these factors contribute to their overall success and I am challenged and pleased to work with them every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime I pass by or stop in these classrooms, I am impressed with the high level of engagement taking place. What’s happening in their classrooms mirrors what’s happening among these teachers: everyone is working together toward a common goal, but each person is working hard to contribute to that end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also commend their commitment to their new team members, especially in the area of Independent Reading, as they are my go-to as a newbie to the program. Their insight and advice has definitely set me and my students up for 6th grade reading success! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to publicly thank this team for letting us observe them in action. The evidence of rich learning was everywhere, in mini lessons, student work displays, anchor charts, and most importantly student responses about their learning. As we debriefed this observation our facilitator asked us two great questions. First, what did we think students were walking away with by being in this type of learning environment and second, what would we take away from the visit. My answer to the first question was immediate-- students in these classrooms were not only learning to read and write, but from what I could see were learning to love to read and write as evidenced by 100% student engagement. Teachers were not only teaching these students to think deeply about important concepts, but doing so in a way that nurtured a love for learning. My answer to the second question didn't come right away, but after some reflection this visit reminded me of my core beliefs. While I want to blow the top off of those Iowa Assessments (and any high stakes assessment for that matter, ACT, etc), what I want first and foremost is for the students who leave our system to be deep thinkers, inquisitive problem solvers, and yes, as trite as it sounds lifelong learners. This type of learning doesn't come by working alone.Thanks to this team for reminding me it can be done. Thanks to the Wilson school community for your collaborative approach to helping students learn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love more opportunity to see this group in action, so I can gain a better idea of how to incorporate the model into my classroom more effectively. I believe in what they do and would love to be more like them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate Wendy's attention to the feedback and advice that we all give each other. I am so grateful to work with people who I trust, and who I know will do what they can to lift learning, not only in their own classrooms, but in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The growth that this team has made shows evidence that all members are putting forth their best effort. As other teams get use to working together and building stronger relationships built on trust, I see the entire building making a lot of growth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Individuals working alone are sometimes better at solving simple problems, but well-functioning groups are always better at addressing challenging tasks, and there are few things as complex as making systems work." Fullan Our problems are not simple. They are serious and complex and must be solved."

    Each member on my team understands that we can't solve our problems on our own and I have never felt like I have been tasked with such a challenge. I get comfort and confidence knowing that I can both rely on and contribute to a team making significant progress toward solving our problems. The success of this sixth grade team is inspiring and I'm excited to find that same kind of success with my own team.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wilson Middle School teachers are entrenched in learning teams and the learning cycle. Simply stated, it is the way we do business. But learning is different than effective implementation. The work this team has accomplished and the implementation of their learning into what they do in the classroom is evident every time I enter their rooms. As quoted in Kim’s post, “You are in groups created for purposeful peer interactions.” The focus of this team, the openness to each other and the commitment to implementation is driving their success. Keep up the great work! Your students are the beneficiaries of this challenging process!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am honored to work so closely with this team of amazing teachers. I learn so much from my teammates Cassie and Carly, and wish I had the opportunity to spend more time with Christina and Brittany. I often wish I could observe them at work with our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being new to the building, I am fascinated by the high level of engagement I see when I am in the classrooms. During team meetings, I feel that I am "in the know" with what is happening and what my purpose is in the classroom. It is truly a team effort and I am proud to be apart of my learning teams.

    ReplyDelete